Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Review: ONYX by JLA~10/10

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release date: August 14, 2012
Number of pages: 416
Rating: 10/10

Summary:
Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

Review
Besides the awesome sauce we have come to expect from Jennifer L. Armentrout, I wasn't letting my hopes get to high before reading ONYX. After all, it could be struck by the second in the series curse, right? Wrong. I was blown away by ONYX. It is not only deluged with awesome sauce, but it may have even surpassed OBSIDIAN in greatness. This book is an emotional roller-coaster ride, with highs of heated passion and amusing snark, and lows of despair and loss. I'm always surprised when a paranormal book makes me cry, because even though I love them, the sceptic in me says, "No way, chica. Vampires/weres/alien romances are just not deep." Obviously, this is not the case, not by a long shot. In the case of ONYX, I feel as if it has blasted open the door for a new generation of young adult books. If Twilight's Edward and Bella started the vampire trend, then Daemon and Katy, who have south more depth and charisma than those vamps of yesterday, will start an alien invasion. And well, I think I MAY be able to tolerate some more yummy Daemon-esque glow wormy hotness. Jennifer Armentrout has done it yet again. I didn't even know it was possible to beat OBSODIAN, but ONYX is truly amazing and one of a kind. Not to mention, we really get to explore Daemon's character in depth-does that spun dirty- in a way that will hook readers even more. We see a confident side to Katy, a sensitive side to Daemon, and a web of heated emotions flying every which way between them. I also appreciate the fact that Daemon and Katy aren't the sole focus of the book. We get a look into Dawson and Bethany, Dee and Adam- I won't spoil it but I cried over something involving them-, even Ash. And though new characters are introduced as well, and we do get to see other people's stories, it isn't one of those book moments when I'm trying to remember if Bobby or Jim killed Jane, or what the darn mother's name is. No, ONYX brings us a clarity that exceeded my expectations, but in the end, not so much clarity that we aren't left begging for more. Like literally, on my knees, sobbing ugly sobs, begging for more. And looky here, we do in fact, get some more. A bonus POV from Daemon will keep me satisfied for about a week before I go crazy. Trust me, you do NOT want to miss ONYX. It is must read by any standards, especially if you like yummy boys. Which, I'm guessing most of you do. So go buy it and read it pronto.

No comments: