Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Review: Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire


Review:
To say I am a fan of Jamie McGuire's work is the understatement of the year. I have read Beautiful Disaster dozens of times, and the greatness of the book doesn't even come close to lessening after every time. I can't even tell you how excited I was to begin Walking Disaster, the companion novel told from the point of view of irresistible bad boy Travis Maddox, who may possibly be my favorite male character EVER. Walking Disaster did not disappoint--not even a  little bit. This was actually the first time I actually felt the male character was believable, and I don't know if Jamie McGuire was a drool-worthy player in another life, but the way she executes his character is ridiculously incredible. As you relive the love story of Abby (Pigeon) and Travis (Mad Dog) Maddox through the eyes of Travis, it isn't at all like you're just rereading Beautiful Disaster. While the sequence of events are much the same, Jamie allows us some insight into Travis' thoughts and life outside of Abby that we only guessed at before. But the thing is, as much as he tries, once Abby Abernathy steps into Travis' life, there really only is Abby. I love how he's not the player hat we thought throughout the beginning, and I love how Travis shows us another side of his brothers and family life, and I love how he respects Shep's wishes about America but not so much about Abby...the list goes on. I love everything about Walking Disaster. You will not want to put it down for even a second. At the end, there is even insight into their life years after college, and it is so perfect I can't even describe it. This is a must-read if there ever was one, and I give it an 8/10.

Summary:

Finally, the highly anticipated follow-up to the New York Times bestseller Beautiful Disaster.

Can you love someone too much?

Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.



No comments: