Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Just For Fins by Tera Lynn Childs review!!


Just For Fins
When Lily Sanderson decided to remain Crown Princess Waterlily of the mer kingdom of Thalassinia, she knew she couldn't just coast along in the current. But since she's spent the last couple of years on land, Lily's not sure she has the fins to lead a kingdom. Even her maddeningly pretentious cousin Dosinia seems to know more about ruling than she does.
But Lily has to dive in deep to keep her promise to Tellin, her mer bond in name only, who tells her his kingdom is suffering in the changing ocean climate. Lily knows this is a seven seas–sized problem. They'll need to create some serious waves to make the mer community aware and get it to join together to make things right. Lily has to lead the way, even if that means facing one of the iciest queens in the mer kingdoms.
Just when Lily thinks her double life on land and sea can't get any more complicated, an ancient mer law might separate Lily and her human boyfriend, Quince, after all. It feels as if the pair is up against a solid tsunami wave!
In this third installment in the series that began with Forgive My Fins and Fins Are Forever, Lily will have to find a way to balance safety and justice for the mer people and for the humans she loves.
Courtesy of Amazon

     It had been so long since I last read a book in the series that I was skeptical at first. However, as soon as I began, I immediately was captivated by Quince and Lily's story. I loved how Doe, Lily's spiteful cousin, begins to interact with her relative in a more humane way, even going so far as to show a bit of cousinly love. I was interested to see how the relationship with her would progress, and I was fully satisfied. I was more than satisfied with Lily and Quince's relationship. I hate when books end, and I'm like "Gosh darnit, I really hate when the bad boy gets killed and the feisty heroine gets left with the less muscly, "vulnerable", and obviously lesser male in the cliche love triangle...Ahem, Ahem, Forever, Ahem." In this case, I thought all the romantic conflicts were resolved, and any doubts I had about brooding bad boy Quince-who I totally picture like a Shia Labeouf and James Franco baby- were put to rest. At first I was kind of miffed that Quince wasn't in the story in the beginning all that much, but Lily's quests to other mer kingdoms kept me interested. I wish there would have been a little more action between Quince and Lily, but the moments they shared were passionate and almost made up for it. Plus, Quince's devotion was tested to new levels, and with a little help from Lily and the gang on occasion, they learn they can make it through anything. Just For Fins puts a modern twist on a collage of a million classic fairy tales. I loved it! I give Just For Fins 9 out of 10 stars, and it's a definite must-read!


No comments: